Ely Cathedral is the only building in the United Kingdom to be listed as one of the ‘Seven Wonders of the Middle Ages’. Initially, it was a monastery founded by Saint Etheldreda and later became a cathedral in the 12th century. The complete name of the church is ‘the Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Ely’.
It is located in Cambridgeshire, England. This cathedral is 573 feet long. It has a 250 feet long nave, the central part of the church where people sit. It is the longest nave in Britain. Among the local people, it is known as the ‘Ship of the Fens’ as it towers above the flat and watery landscape in surroundings.
Quick Facts: –
- The cathedral was built in the shape of a cross. It was made of stone and marble.
- It is the primary church of Diocese of Ely in Cambridgeshire, England. It is also the seat of the Anglican Bishop of Ely.
- The highest point of the cathedral is the west tower that measures 66 meters.
- The original monastery was thought to be destroyed in the 9th century by Vikings. The re-establishment started in 970.
- The central tower of Ely Cathedral was collapsed in 1322 and was reconstructed as an octagonal tower.
- Saint Etheldreda, founder of the cathedral was the daughter of King Anna.
- Her shrine was destroyed in 1539 when Henry the 8th disbanded many religious houses of worship during Dissolution of Monasteries.
- The great restoration began in 1986 and was completed in 2000. The total cost was approximately 12 billion pounds.
- The cathedral offers regular daily prayers with an emphasis on choral music.
- It also serves as a cultural focal point for East Anglia as it provides a great venue for art and music.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids About Ely Cathedral ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 06 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/ely-cathedral/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts for Kids About Ely Cathedral. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/ely-cathedral/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :