George VI Facts
George VI was the British monarch from 1936 to 1952. He was the second son of the Duke of York, George V. He was born at York Cottage, Sandringham, on December 15, 1895.
George VI was Prince Albert before ascending to the throne. He was born fourth in line to the throne and became known as the ‘Reluctant King’ after his older brother, Edward VIII, abdicated the throne in 1936.
Quick Facts: –
- George VI was the third king of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the House of Windsor dynasty.
- Prince Albert entered the Royal Naval College at Osborne in 1909 and 2 years later went on to Dartmouth.
- After completing college, he entered the Navy professionally.
- In 1919 he became the first member of the royal family to receive a pilot’s certificate.
- He was an athletic person and even competed in the men’s doubles tournament at Wimbledon in 1926, before becoming king.
- Prince Albert was made the Duke of York in 1920 by King George V.
- He only reigned for 16 years but during that time, he became one of the more notable monarchs in modern British history.
- He suffered from a nervous stammer and in the initial days of his reign, he lacked confidence to speak in public.
- Apart from this, he also endured chronic stomach issues and was easily frightened.
- George VI died in February 1952 at Sandringham House, Norfolk. He was 56 years old at that time.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " George VI Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 27 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/george-vi-facts/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). George VI Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/george-vi-facts/
We've recently added
- Microbiology Worksheet
- All About Microbiology
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
Sponsored Links :