Great Belt Bridge
The Great Belt Bridge is an important traffic connection between Danish islands Zealand and Funen. It is also known as the Great Belt Fixed Link. It is made of a suspension bridge, railroad tunnel and a box girder bridge. The waters between the Danish islands are known as the Great Belt.
The East Bridge is 6,790 meters long and connects Zealand and Sprogø. It consists of a sub-structure and a superstructure. The sub-structure is made of concrete and comprises pylons, bridge piers, abutments etc. and the steel superstructure comprises bridge spans and cables.
Quick Facts: –
- The West Bridge is a low-level combined road and railway bridge that connects the islands of Sprogø and Fyn.
- The elements for the West Bridge were towed out to the bridge alignment by the floating crane, Svanen.
- The East Bridge was built between 1991 and 1998 and West Bridge was built between 1988 and 1994.
- The passage height for the East Bridge is 65 meters and for the West Bridge is 18 meters.
- Before the link was opened, some 8,000 cars used ferries daily to cross the Great Belt.
- The East Tunnel for Rail traffic is 8,024 meters long. It was built between 1988 and 1996.
- The construction costs for the entire project totalled DKK 21.4 billion in 1988 prices.
- The fixed link across the Great Belt is 18 kilometers long. It connects Eastern and Western Denmark.
- Before the Great Belt Bridge was opened, a car took 90 minutes to cross the Great Belt using a ferry but now it takes only 10-15 minutes.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Great Belt Bridge for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 12 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/great-belt-bridge/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts about Great Belt Bridge for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/great-belt-bridge/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :