How Does the Car Engine Work Video for Kids
A very complex process of working of a car engine is explained in an easy way.
How does the car engine work
It is an easy to understand video based on working of a car engine.
What is a car?
- In layman’s terms, a car can be defined as a metal box that gets you from one place to another place. And in scientific terms, a car is a machine that releases the energy locked in a fuel like petrol or diesel and converts into mechanical energy in moving wheels and gears.
The cars we drive round in today made their debut in 1885. That was when Karl Benz secured a small gasoline (petrol) engine to a three-wheeled cart and made the first gas powered car.
Have you ever thought that how a car gets down the roads?
It is a well known fact that gasoline is required in a car for its functionality but how does the car engine use that gas?
Cars, trucks, trains, ships and planes- all these things are powered by fuels made from petroleum. Petroleum is a thick, yellow to black liquid, which is hidden deep underground. It became the most important source of energy during the 20th century.
A Car engine is a very efficient machine. It wastes less energy and put more of it to work. It burns fuel in containers, which are closed. It captures a major part of the heat energy, released by the fuel, and turns it into mechanical energy that drives the car along.
Main parts of a car engine:-
- Inlet valve
- Outlet valve
- Sparking plug
Working of a four-stroke engine:-
The process of making power in a car engine is an endless repetition of a series of following four steps:-
- Intake: – The momentum of the crankshaft, a wheel at the bottom pulls the piston down inside the cylinder. When the car is moving along, the crankshaft keeps turning.
- Compression: – The inlet valve is being closed. The piston moves back up the cylinder. And the mixture of air and fuel is compressed. This makes the mixture more flammable. The sparking plug fires, the moment piston reaches the top of the cylinder.
- Power: – The mixture of fuel and air catches fire and causes a mini explosion. The fuel burns at once and gives off hot gas. This gas pushes the piston back down. The crankshaft is being powered by the energy, released by fuel.
- Exhaust: – The outlet valve opens. The piston is forced back up the cylinder for a second time as the crankshaft continues to turn. It forces the exhaust gases out through the exhaust outlet. These gases were produced when the fuel burned.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " working of car engine explanation for kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 25 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/how-does-the-car-engine-work-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). working of car engine explanation for kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/how-does-the-car-engine-work-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :