How to Make Crystals
A crystal can be defined as a solid material that has all of its atoms, molecules or ions in an ordered pattern extending in all three dimensions. Every crystal has a different structure and different properties. Making borax crystals is a well-known kids’ craft.
- Borax powder
- Pipe cleaners
- Clear glass container
- Measuring spoon
- Food coloring
- Create a particular structure like stars, coils etc. by using the pipe cleaners.
- Take some water in a pot and start boiling it.
- Add some of the food colorings to the boiling water.
- Pour the water into the glass container.
- Now add the borax powder to the water. Add only one tbsp at a time and keep stirring.
- Tie one end of the thread to the pipe cleaner structure and another end to a pencil.
- Hang the pipe cleaner structure in the container in such a way that the pencil is placed on the top of the container.
- Make sure that the structure does not touch the base or the sides of the jar.
- Leave the container undisturbed overnight and in the morning, you will get pretty borax crystals.
How the crystals are formed: –
A suspension of borax is created when mixed with water. It contains solid particles large enough to make the liquid appear cloudy.