From its quirky name to its fuzzy brown skin to its bright green flesh, kiwifruit is one weird food. Get past that, though, and you find a fruit that’s both delicious and nutritious. Kiwifruit has a sweet tart taste that’s been compared to a combination of banana and strawberry.
The edible seeds add flavor and slight texture. Best of all, kiwifruit has more nutrition than any other fruit, according to a study at Rutgers University.
- Kiwifruit is packed with nutrition. It has vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and slows aging; antioxidants, magnesium, potassium, folate, zinc, and lutein, a nutrient necessary for good eye health. Two kiwis have more fiber than a bowl of bran cereal.
- Kiwifruit was first discovered in China and quickly became a favorite of Chinese royalty. It was viewed as a very special delicacy.
- During the mid-1800s, farmers in New Zealand began growing kiwifruit. Back then, it was originally called Chinese gooseberry and then New Zealand gooseberry.
- In 1962, a California grocer began importing the fruit from New Zealand after a shopper requested it. The grocer renamed the fruit “kiwifruit” after New Zealand’s national bird, the kiwi.
- Soon, growers in California began offering kiwifruit. Today, most of the kiwifruit eaten in the U.S. comes from California. Elsewhere, China, Italy, New Zealand, and Chile produce kiwifruit.
- Choose kiwifruits that have smooth skins. Avoid those with shriveled skins. The kiwifruit are ripe when they give slightly when you touch them. If they feel hard, they’re not ripe.
- Quirky: slightly odd
- Edible: okay to eat
- Delicacy: a special and rare food
Questions and Answers
Question: How should I eat kiwi?
Answer: You can peel and slice it to put in fruit salads, but if you’re eating a kiwifruit by itself, here’s a simple way: Have a parent help you cut the fruit lengthwise to make two halves; use use a spoon to scoop out the fruit.
Watch another way to eat kiwifruit.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Kiwifruit Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Feb 2020. Web. 24 Feb 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/kiwifruit/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Kiwifruit Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/kiwifruit/
Sponsored Links :