La Sagrada Familia
La Sagrada Familia is a Roman Catholic Church which is located in Barcelona, Spain. It is no longer a cathedral and in 2010, it was declared as a basilica by Pope Benedict XVI. It is also home to the tomb of Antoni Gaudi, who was the architect of this massive structure. He was killed a few days after being hit by a tram.
In 1984, it was designated as a UNESCO world heritage site. Approximately 3 million people visit the site every year. It has three different facades which are the Nativity Façade, the Passion Façade and the Glory Façade. All three of them have different meanings.
Quick Facts: –
- The design has 18 towers. 12 of them represent the apostles, 4 represent the evangelists, 1 represents the Virgin Mary and the remaining 1 represents Jesus Christ.
- The entire construction of this structure has been funded by donations.
- The full name of La Sagrada Familia is Basilica I Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Familia.
- It is the most celebrated work of Antoni Gaudi. Its construction started in 1882 and is still going on to this day.
- Antoni died in June, 1926 and at that time only 25% of the structure was completed.
- There are elevators inside the structure that allow visitors to see its lowest and highest points.
- Unlike other cathedrals which are straight this design is based on the swirling curves.
- The Nativity Façade is located on the East side and dedicated to the birth of Christ.
- The Passion Façade is located in the Western part of the structure and dedicated to the death of Christ.
- On this façade, there is a 4×4 magic square of 15 numbers and it remains unsolved till date.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " La Sagrada Familia Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 19 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/la-sagrada-familia/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). La Sagrada Familia Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/la-sagrada-familia/
Sponsored Links :