Lifecycle of a fish
Like every other animal on this planet, fishes also grow large enough to reproduce. Although each and every fish species has a unique method of reproduction, for generalizing we can divide the life cycle of a fish into seven stages. These seven stages are common in almost all the different species of fish.
Life Cycle of a fish: –
- Egg: – In this stage, the embryo is formed inside the hardened egg, once the egg is fertilized. Then it will start to develop organs. After this, eye spots and tails are completely developed. Species living in warmer water hatch faster compared to the species living in colder water.
- Larvae: – Once the eggs are hatched, they are known as larva. New larva have a yolk sac. This yolk sac is the nutrition source for them. The larva can survive for 2-4 days by their yolk sac food supply. They can be offered a live feed once their eyes and mouth are developed.
- Fry: – Young fish are called fry once the yolk sac is fully absorbed. In this stage they are ready to start eating on their own. Fishes go through several development phases. During the first few months, they are known as fry.
- Juvenile: – Metamorphosis is the process that marks an end point on the larval stage. In this phase, fishes acquire characteristics of an adult fish like: – fins, color, body parts etc. and they are considered as juveniles. This stage is considered as a point of high mortality for a fish.
- Smolt: – In this stage, fishes grow more rapidly. Generally, smolt stays in backrush water.
- Adult: – In this stage, fish are able to reproduce. Now they complete the migration from freshwater to saltwater.
- Spawning: – Females release the eggs in water and males release milt that helps to fertilize the eggs.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Life Cycle of a Fish ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 17 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/lifecycle-of-a-fish/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Facts for Kids about Life Cycle of a Fish. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/lifecycle-of-a-fish/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :