The London Eye is the world’s tallest cantilevered observation wheel with a height of 443 feet tall. It has 32 capsules that represent 32 London boroughs. It can carry 800 people in one single rotation. From there you can see up to 40 kilometers in all directions. This wheel travels at a speed of about 0.6 miles per hour and an average ride takes 30 minutes. On average, it receives more visitors per year as compared to the Taj Mahal and the Great Pyramids of Giza. It was preceded by The Great Wheel, a Ferris wheel built for the Empire of India Exhibition at Earls Court.
Fast Facts: –
- The London Eye was originally planned as a temporary structure but in July 2002, it was granted a permanent license by Lambeth Council.
- It turned into a pop-up dining spot during London Restaurant Festival.
- This wheel is also known as the Millennium Wheel as it was built to celebrate the Millennium.
- It is lit up in different colors to mark various special occasions. It was lit red, white and blue for Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding.
- The structure has a central hub and spindle connected to outer and inner rims by cable spoke. It has a diameter of 120 meters.
- It was officially opened on New Year’s Eve 1999 by Prime Minister Tony Blair. It was not opened for public use until March of 2000.
- Thousands of couples have proposed on this iconic landmark since its opening.
- Every year, around three and a half million people, including tourists and London residents go on the London Eye.
- Kate Moss one of London’s most iconic VIPs, has been here for 25 times and that is the record for a celebrity from the United Kingdom.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about the London Eye ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2018. Web. 22 Jul 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/london-eye/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts for Kids about the London Eye. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/london-eye/
Sponsored Links :