Oprah Winfrey is best known for hosting her own internationally popular talk show from 1986 to 2011. She has a nickname ‘Queen of Media’. Her real name is Orpah Gail Winfrey but people kept mispronouncing it and the name Oprah stuck. She was born on January 29, 1954 to an unwed teen in Kosciusko, Mississippi.
As a child she was able to recite bible verses as her grandmother often took her to the church. She won the Miss Black Tennessee beauty pageant when she was 17 years old.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- Winfrey has interviewed countless celebrities. Michael Jackson’s interview became the fourth most watched interview of all time.
- She had a son when she was only 14 years old but he died in his infancy.
- Oprah Winfrey lent her voice for many cartoon characters.
- She popularized the intimate, confessional form of talk show.
- She is first black women billionaire and referred to as the most influential woman in the world.
- President Barack Obama awarded her the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2013.
- She has her own production company called Harpo. It is Oprah spelled backwards.
- Winfrey has appeared in a number of movies and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in ‘The Color Purple’.
- North America has only one black billionaire, Oprah Winfrey.
- She launched OWN, The Oprah Winfrey Network in 2011.
- She is the first African-American star to be on the cover of Vogue.
- In 2011, she received an honorary Oscar for her philanthropic efforts.
- She taught the dynamics of leadership at Northwestern University in 1999 and 2000.
- She is a dog lover and has five dogs.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun facts for Kids about Oprah Winfrey ." Easy Science for Kids, Jun 2020. Web. 04 Jun 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/oprah-winfrey/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun facts for Kids about Oprah Winfrey. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/oprah-winfrey/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :