Oxygen Atom Facts for Kids Video
Oxygen is one of the important gases that are required for our physical survival. All the living creatures like humans, animals, plants require oxygen for respiration. This is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas but in the liquid and solid state, it has a pale blue color. It is the third most abundant element by mass in the universe and the most abundant element in the biosphere of earth. Approximately 47% of the earth’s crust is made of oxygen. Joseph Priestly is credited with the discovery of the oxygen in 1774. This gas does not burn but it supports the combustion of other substances.
Quick Facts: –
- It is a non-metallic element but of all the non-metallic elements, it is the most reactive one.
- Oxygen gets attracted to magnets but the attraction is very weak and it cannot maintain a permanent magnetism.
- Oxygen gets dissolved in water and this is the reason why life is possible underwater.
- Molecules of the element are responsible for generating some colors like yellow, green, bright red etc. but they need to be in the excited state.
- Approximately two-third of your weight is made up of this element.
- Oxygen has low thermal and electrical conductivity but high electro negativity and ionization energy.
- It is a member of chalcogen group and can form compounds with elements except for helium or neon very easily.
- Hyperventilation is caused by breathing in too much oxygen gas. In this situation, we breathe too quickly.
- Ozone (O3) is an allotrope of the element. It is formed when three molecules of oxygen are combined.
- Approximately 1% of the entire mass of the Sun is made up of oxygen.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Oxygen ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2019. Web. 13 Nov 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/oxygen-atom-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Oxygen. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/oxygen-atom-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :