Pablo Picasso is considered the greatest artist of the 20th century. He was a true polymath. He was a painter, sculptor, poet, print writer and playwright. Picasso is known as one of the two inventors of the modern art movement called Cubism. George Braque was the other one. This style reduces the subjects to geometric forms.
Picasso was born on October 25, 1881, in Malaga, Spain. His full name has a total of 23 words as he was named after various saints and relatives. It was Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Maria de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santisima Trinidad Martyr Patricio Clito Ruiz y Picasso.
Fun Facts: –
- When Pablo Picasso was born, he was so weak that the midwife thought that he was stillborn. She left him on a table but then his uncle doctor Don Salvador saved him.
- He was a child prodigy as he could draw before he could talk properly. His father was an artist and art professor who gave him a formal education in art.
- Picasso produced his first large scale oil painting ‘First Communion’. It was a portrait of his father, mother, and younger sister kneeling before an Altar.
- He signed his first contract with art dealer Pere Menach. The deal was done in 150 francs that are equivalent to approximately US $750 today.
- Some of his famous works are ‘The Pipes of Pan’, ‘Three Musicians’, ‘Guernica’ and ‘The Weeping Woman’.
- Picasso produced a total of 1,200 sculptures and 1,800 paintings in his entire lifetime.
- In 1935, at the age of 53, he also started to write poetry.
- He got married twice and had a total of four children from three different women. He also had many mistresses.
- He died on April 8, 1973, at the age of 91.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Pablo Picasso ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/pablo-picasso/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Facts for Kids about Pablo Picasso. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/pablo-picasso/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :