Talk about thick-headed! One of the more unusual looking dinosaurs, the Pachycephalosaurus had a 10-inch thick helmet-like skull.
- Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis lived during the Late Cretaceous, 70 to 66 million years ago, in what is now the western U.S., including Montana, South Dakota, and Wyoming (hence the genus name).
- This animal would have shared its environment with Anklyosaurus, Dracorex, Triceratops, and Tyrannosaurus, among others.
- It was the largest known member of the pachycephaloaurid family and its name means “Thick Head Lizard.”
- Scientists have never found more than a skull of this creature, but they have a pretty good idea of what it looked like from studying closely relatives. They believe it was a biped (walked on its back legs), which short arms and a thick, stiff tail.
- Scientists do know from looking at the skull that it had good eyesight, a beaked mouth, a small brain, and knobby, little bones on the top of its head.
Questions and Answers
Question: What’s up with the helmet head?
Answer: Scientists initially believed Pachycephalosaurus used its head to fight opponents. Later, scientists believed that perhaps it was just for show. New findings of Pachycephalosaurus skulls with healed over wounds support the idea that it used its tough noggin for fighting.
See more images of this unusual dinosaur.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts about Pachycephalosaurus dinosaurs for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 18 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/pachycephalosaurus/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Facts about Pachycephalosaurus dinosaurs for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/pachycephalosaurus/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :