SS Edmund Fitzgerald
SS Edmund Fitzgerald was a freight ship which sank on November 10, 1975. It was well known for being the biggest of its time weighing in at around 13,600 tons. It was the worst shipping disaster on the Great Lakes in 11 years.
This accident took the lives of total 29 men. This ship was on Lake Superior and carrying iron ore. It was one of the largest ‘iron boats’ working the Great Lakes. This bulk carrier spanned 729 feet, measuring 39 feet high with a width of 75 feet.
Quick Facts: –
- SS Edmund Fitzgerald was first christened on June 8, 1958, and made its first voyage on September 24, 1958.
- This ship was owned by Northwestern Mutual Insurance Company.
- It had many nicknames, including ‘The Queen of the Great Lakes’, ‘The Toledo Express’.
- This huge ship has got another nickname which is ‘Titanic of the Great Lakes’.
- The final voyage started on November 9, 1975 at the Burlington Northern Railroad Dock No.1, Superior, Wisconsin.
- It was carrying 26,116 tons of iron ore pellets at the time when it sank. This much iron ore is enough to build 7500 automobiles.
- The main job of the ship was to carry taconite from mines on the shores of Minnesota and transport the pellets to steel mills.
- The annual Edmund Fitzgerald memorial ceremony takes place on November 10 every year.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " SS Edmund Fitzgerald Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 27 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/ss-edmund-fitzgerald/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). SS Edmund Fitzgerald Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/ss-edmund-fitzgerald/
We've recently added
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
- Explore the Wet-Sand Effect at Home
- How to Bake Ice Cream Without it Melting
- Make your Artwork Dance!
- Food Insecurity
Sponsored Links :