Stegosaurus Facts for Kids Video
Stegosaurus Fun Facts
The word Stegosaurus has been derived from Greek words which mean ‘roofed lizard’. It belonged to a group of dinosaurs known as Stegosauria. These dinosaurs had rows of unique bones that developed into plates and spines along their back and tail. They were alive in the late Jurassic Period, around 150 million years ago. Their fossils have been found in Portugal and Western North America and their population was likely concentrated in North America. The Stegosaurus is the state dinosaur of Colorado.
Quick Facts: –
- Stegosaurus had total 17 plates made of bones embedded in the back of its neck.
- These spikes were used to keep the predators off their neck.
- These dinosaurs were likely 9 feet tall, 30 feet long and weighed about 7,000 pounds.
- Othniel Charles Marsh was the first person to discover and name the Stegosaurus.
- They were plant eaters so they had flat and smooth teeth. They fed upon plants like mosses, ferns and fruits.
- Stegosaurus was one of three dinosaurs along with T-Rex and Iguanodon that inspired the appearance of Godzilla.
- The spiked tail of Stegosaurus is called a ‘Thagomizer’.
- These dinosaurs swallowed small pebbles and stones intentionally. They helped mash up the tough vegetable matter in its enormous stomach.
- They had heavy, thick legs. They walked on all four legs and couldn’t move faster than 5 miles per hour.
- The brain size of a stegosaurus was quite small as compared to its body size.
- A few scientists believed that the stegosaurus had another larger brain on their butt.
- They grazed for food in large groups or herds.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun facts about Stegosaurus for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2020. Web. 15 Aug 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/stegosaurus-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun facts about Stegosaurus for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/stegosaurus-facts-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :