The beautiful Canary Islands found off the coast of West Africa are an independent colony of Spain. More than 12 million tourists visit the Canary Islands every year. The islands have sparkling beaches, warm temperatures and gorgeous scenery. Here, you’ll find national parks and the third tallest volcano in the world.
- 2,117,519 people live in the Canary Islands.
- The country has 2,893 square miles of land.
- The main religion here is Roman Catholic. Other religions include Islam, Hinduism, and Latter Day Saint (Mormon) faiths.
- Colony: an area controlled by another country
- Sparkling: bright
- Scenery: landscape, what you see
To learn more about the Canary Islands, visit the Canary Islands website.
Question: Are the Canary Islands a safe country to visit?
Answer: Although the Canary Islands sit off the coast of Africa, it feels more like a European country. The islands are developed and have a stable government. However, recent earthquakes, floods and volcanic activity have damaged the islands.