Types of Fungi Facts for Kids Video
Types of Fungi
The term ‘fungi’ has been derived from the Latin word fungus that means mushroom. They are eukaryotic organisms similar to plants and animals as they contain a membrane-bound nucleus. They are found all over the world. There are more than 10,000 different identified species of them. They were once classified as plants but they are very much different. Cell walls of fungi are composed of chitin and cell walls of plants are composed of cellulose. Another difference is, they do not make their food by photosynthesis like plants do. The branch of biology in which we deal with fungi is known as mycology and the person who studies them is known as a mycologist.
Quick Facts: –
- Fungi have their own importance in our lives. Some of them help to decompose dead organisms.
- Some species are used as food such as mushrooms and truffles and some of them are used for medicinal purposes.
- They are divided into three categories on the basis of their structure that are yeast, mold, and mushroom.
- Fungi and animals share same super kingdom called Opisthokonta.
- Some of the mushrooms grow towards light and follow the Sun just like plants.
- There are some other organisms that look and behave much like fungi but they are not included in the kingdom.
- Fungus consumes a variety of decomposing matter like fruits, plants, living and dead animals.
- They do not ingest food but secret enzymes that digest food before going inside their body and they can absorb obtained nutrients.
- A fungus can be unicellular or multicellular. Yeast is unicellular and mold is multicellular.
- Fungi can also be used in pest control as they are able to suppress the growth of insects.
- Honey mushroom is a fungus which is the largest living organism on the planet.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Types of Fungi ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 12 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/types-of-fungi-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Types of Fungi. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/types-of-fungi-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :