William Shakespeare was one of history’s most famous playwrights. He was also considered the world’s greatest dramatists. He wrote a total of 38 plays and 154 sonnets. He was born on April 26, 1564. His parents were John and Mary Shakespeare.
John Shakespeare was elected to a multitude of civic positions. William Shakespeare’s first published work was ‘First Folio’, published in 1623. Some of his greatest plays includes Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet. He also acted in many of his own plays.
Quick Facts: –
- Shakespeare has been credited by the Oxford English Dictionary for introducing almost 3,000 new words of English.
- At the age of 18, he married Anne Hathway who was 26 years old and 3 months pregnant at that time.
- Their first child Susannah was born after 6 months of their wedding. Later they had two twins, Hamnet and Judith.
- The moons of the planet Uranus are named after Shakespearean characters.
- William Shakespeare was acquainted with Queen Elizabeth I.
- There are no direct descendants of Shakespeare alive as his only granddaughter Elizabeth died childless in 1670.
- Shakespeare was believed to wear a gold hoop earring.
- The character Emilia in his play Othello may have been based on a real-life lover.
- William’s younger brother Edmund Shakespeare had also worked in the playhouses of London.
- Google has honoured William Shakespeare with a doodle.
- He died in 1616. The words “Curst be he that moves my bones” were inscribed on his grave.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Facts for Kids about William Shakespeare ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 17 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/william-shakespeare/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Amazing Facts for Kids about William Shakespeare. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/william-shakespeare/
Sponsored Links :