World Population Day
World Population Day is observed on July 11th every year. It was established to seek awareness of global population issues. The world population is currently increasing at a rate of about 140 people a minute, which adds up to more than 70 million a year.
World Population Day was recommended in 1989 by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme. According to the UN it was a perfect time to highlight population issues and work to solve them together.
Fast Facts: –
- The Day was first marked on 11th July 1990 in more than 90 countries. Since then many more countries commemorate the day.
- It’s estimated that every second there are 4.3 births and 1.8 deaths which adds up to a net population gain of 2.5 people per second.
- Standing side by side the entire world’s population would fit into 500 square miles which is less than the size of Los Angeles.
- It is predicted by experts that by 2030, the world’s population will reach up to 8.5 billion in total.
- Across the globe today, 1 in 3 children under the age of 5 (about 230 million) have never been officially registered.
- About 1.8 billion people around the world are between the ages of 10 and 24, which is the largest population of young people ever.
- Just because of poor sanitation, a child dies in every 20 seconds.
- In 1900 only 12 cities had a population of more than 1 million. Now there are more than 400 cities with 1 million or more people.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about World Population Day ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/world-population-day/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts about World Population Day. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/world-population-day/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :