Zebra Facts for Kids Video
The Zebra, an animal related to horses and donkeys
No animal has a more distinguishing coat than them. Closely related to horses and donkeys, the zebra is best known for its black and white striped body. They are single hoofed animals, native to Africa. They are generally considered to have white coats with black stripes but they have black skin under their white coats.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- They are herbivores and primarily eat a variety of grasses.
- Just like human fingerprints, a zebra’s stripe pattern is unique to the individual. Because of the uniqueness, they can identify each other.
- Their stripy coat is thought to work as natural sunscreen. And it helps to camouflage the animal in long grass so that a predator cannot identify and chase a single zebra.
- There are three species of zebra: Mountain, Grevy’s and Plains.
- They are social animals. They live in large groups called ‘Harems’. They sleep standing up and only if they are in group so that they can be warned if a predator approaches.
- They communicate with each other through various vocal expressions including sniffing and balking.
- Zebras are very fast moving animals and reach speeds of up to 65kmph. This is fast enough to outpace predators such as lions and leopards.
- Foals (infant zebra) can walk after about 20 minutes and run with the herd within a few hours of birth.
- Their gestation period is about 12-13 months.
- They have excellent hearing and eyesight.
- They must be constantly wary of lions and hyenas.
- Zebra crossings are named after the black and white stripes of zebra.
- A zebra named Marty was starred in the 2005 animated film Madagascar.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Zebra facts for kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Feb 2020. Web. 25 Feb 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/zebra-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Zebra facts for kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/zebra-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :