One Celled Organisms – The Protists
Imagine a group of organisms so varied they seem to be from another planet. Protists are such a group. Some of them are sculptured diatoms; some have long threads or hairs that move. Some constantly change shape. Welcome to the world of protists.
Protists are one-celled organisms that feed on bacteria, dead matter and even other protists. Some use flagella, which are whip like threads, to push themselves around. Most of these one-celled organisms live in wet places, such as oceans, lakes, ponds, rivers and streams.
Fun Facts about Protists for Kids
- There are two groups of protists – protozoa and algae. Protozoa move around in search of food. Algae use sunlight like plants to get their food.
- Protists usually get their food from the environment. Some are parasites. These are called pathogens. They live on humans or other animals to get their food. Pathogens can cause dangerous diseases like malaria and sleeping sickness.
- Giardia lamblia is a protist pathogen that causes serious diarrhea. People usually get it by drinking water or eating food that has the pathogen.
- In tropical countries, people sometimes get elephantiasis, which causes swollen feet, legs and other body parts. It is caused by a tiny worm.
- Varied: different, unusual
- Flagella: whip like threads
- Parasite: an organism that feeds on another living organism
- Pathogen: a dangerous microbe, such as a protist or bacteria that can cause illness
Learn More about One Celled Organisms – the Protists
Have a look at this video about protists:
A video presentation about the different types of protists.
Question: Are protists animals or plants?
Answer: Some protists seem like animals; others seem like plants. Some seem more like fungi. But they are actually none of the above. They belong to their own kingdom.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website about the Protist Kingdom info? Take the FREE & fun Protist quiz and download FREE Protists worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
We've recently added
- Engineering for Kids - Facts for Kids Video
- Cool Science Experiments Video for Kids
- Owl Facts Video for Kids
- Facts About Volcanoes Video for Kids
- Galileo Facts Video for Kids
- Whale Facts for Kids Video
- Best Time Travel Video for Kids
- Solid to Gas Video for Kids
- Cute Dog Pictures Video for Kids