You might think Albert Einstein’s theories have little to do with your life, but his discoveries made everything from television to garage door openers to DVD players possible. Einstein was one of the most brilliant scientists of all time. He was named “Person of the Century” in 1999 by TIME Magazine.
But Albert Einstein had personal struggles too. When his grandmother first saw him, she called him “thick,” which means, “not very smart.” Einstein didn’t talk until he was four years old and he liked to repeat words and sentences over and over until he was about seven. Some researchers think he had a form of autism. Albert Einstein didn’t learn to read until he was nine. Although he loved learning, he didn’t like school. Even as an adult, Einstein was disorganized. He often forgot appointments and his lectures were hard to follow. He was the classic “absent-minded professor.”
Fun Facts about Albert Einstein for Kids
- Albert Einstein was born in Germany in 1879. He was the oldest child and he had one younger sister.
- Einstein first became interested in science when his father gave him a compass.
- Even though Einstein didn’t like school, he loved reading and learning on his own.
- He loved classical music and played the piano and violin.
- Einstein wrote his first scientific paper when he was sixteen.
- He hated war and worked for peace throughout his life. He was a pacifist. He supported the Civil Rights movement in America.
- Einstein became famous after he published his theory of relativity in 1915. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for physics in 1921.
Albert Einstein Vocabulary
- Theory: idea backed by research
- Brilliant: exceptionally bright
- Autism: a neurological disorder that causes social, communication and organizational challenges
- Pacifist: one who supports compromise and collaboration over war
Learn More All About Albert Einstein – Person of the Century
Get to know more about Einstein in this video:
A video about 5 facts you might not know about Einstein.
Albert Einstein Q&A
Question: Did Albert Einstein invent the atomic bomb?
Answer: Albert Einstein did not invent the atomic bomb and was actually barred from helping the US government develop atomic weapons. He opposed war and violence. He wrote a letter to President Roosevelt warning him that the Germans were developing atomic weapons.
Question: What did Albert Einstein do when he wasn’t discovering theories?
Answer: Albert Einstein moved to the United States when the Nazis took power in Germany. He spent many years as a mathematics professor at Princeton University.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Albert Einstein info? Take the FREE & fun all about Albert Einstein quiz and download FREE all about Albert Einstein worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.