All about Dettifoss
Dettifoss Waterfall is one of the most powerful waterfalls in Europe. It is located in the Jokulsargljufur Canyon which is situated on the Jokulsa a Fjollum river and also the largest in Iceland. It is also the largest waterfall in the terms of volume discharge as it has an average water flow of 193 cubic meters per second.
The water flow is so powerful that it causes the surrounding rocks to vibrate. It reaches 44 meters in height and about 100 meters in width. The name of the waterfall Dettifoss can be translated as ‘The Collapsing Waterfall’.
Fast Facts: –
- The Jokulsa a Fjollum river feeds the waterfall and it flows from the Vatnajokull glacier.
- The river is the third largest in Iceland in terms of the volume.
- The water in the waterfall has a grayish white color because the water of this glacier is sediment-rich.
- This waterfall is also known as the “European Niagara” because of its drop and volume of water.
- The heavy water flow creates a continuous water spray that leads to the formation of rainbows.
- The waterfall is accompanied by two other substantial waterfalls which are Selfoss in the south and Hafragilsfoss in the north.
- Dettifoss has been featured in the opening scene of the sci-fi movie Prometheus. This is the reason why it is sometimes referred to as Prometheus Waterfall.
- The exact location of the waterfall is in Northeast Iceland within Vatnajokull National Park.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Dettifoss ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 27 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-dettifoss/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts for Kids about Dettifoss. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-dettifoss/
Sponsored Links :