Forests – Mysterious and Beautiful
There’s something magical about walking through a forest. It’s usually quiet and a bit dark. The air smells musty and earthy. You might feel like you’re the only person on earth.
Forests are found on almost every continent in the world. Not only are they beautiful, but they provide shelter for animals and wood for humans. Forests also clean the air.
Fun Facts about Forests for Kids
- Deciduous forests have trees that lose their leaves in the fall. These trees have four layers – very tall trees like oaks, smaller trees and saplings, shrubs and bushy plants, herbs and small ground plants and finally the ground layer, which includes mosses and lichens.
- Many plants and animals live in forests. Many animals hibernate in the winter.
- Some forests are plantation forests. These are forests that have been planted by tree farmers. The plantations supply much of the wood humans use.
- Some forests have evergreen trees, such as pine trees. These trees don’t lose their leaves, or needles, in the winter.
- Redwood trees growing in the Redwood forest in northern California can grow more than 350 feet tall. Average skyscrapers are about this tall. Some of these trees are 2,000 years old.
- Musty: a slightly moldy odor
- Deciduous: a tree that loses its leaves in the fall
- Sapling: young tree
- Plantation: farm
Learn More All About Forests
Understand more about forests in this video:
A video about various facts of the forests
Question: Do edible plants grow in the forest?
Answer: Many edible plants, berries and mushrooms grow there. Don’t eat them though unless a grownup says it’s okay. Many plants are poisonous.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Forest Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 21 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-forests/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Forest Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-forests/
We've recently added
- Microbiology Worksheet
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
Sponsored Links :