Kanchenjunga is the third highest mountain in the world with an elevation of 8,586 meters. It is situated in the eastern Himalaya Range and lies partly in Nepal and partly in India. It is also the highest mountain in India and the second highest in Nepal after Mount Everest. Kanchenjunga has five peaks and so the name translates to ‘Five Treasures of Snow’. These five peaks are Kanchenjunga Main, Kanchenjunga West, Kanchenjunga Central, Kanchenjunga South and Kangbachen. This mountain was first climbed by Joe Brown and George Band on May 25, 1955. They were part of a British expedition.
Quick Facts: –
- The first attempt to reach the summit was made in 1905 by a party led by Aleister Crowley. They retreated because of avalanche danger.
- The British expedition in 1955 under Charles Evans climbed the mountain but all the members stopped a few yards short of the summit because of local religious beliefs.
- Since then, every climber has followed this tradition of stopping short of the summit as it is considered sacred by the people of Sikkim.
- Pierre Beghin was the first person to make a solo ascent to the summit in 1983.
- Kanchenjunga was designated as a world heritage site by UNESCO on July 17, 2016.
- The first known map of the mountain was made by Rinzin Namgyal, an explorer of the mid-19th
- Three of the five peaks are located in North Sikkim and other two peaks are in Nepal’s Taplejung district.
- Four of the five peaks measures more than 8,000 meters.
- The Kanchendzonga National Park was established in 1977. Initially, it was a bishop reserve.
- The area around Kanchenjunga is said to be home to the ‘Kanchenjunga demon’.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Kanchenjunga ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2018. Web. 16 Jul 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-kanchenjunga/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts for Kids about Kanchenjunga. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-kanchenjunga/
Sponsored Links :