Lice – How a Head Louse Infests and Spreads
You’ve probably heard of lice. Maybe you’ve even had them, or known a friend who has had them. Lice are annoying and gross, but they don’t spread disease and they’re not dangerous. Still, it’s good to know what to look for when it comes to head lice.
Head lice are really small. Adult lice are only about as big as a sesame seed. They’re hard to see because they move quickly and tend to hide close to the scalp. You might notice small white or yellow dots in the hair, under the ears or near the scalp. These dots look a little like dandruff, but you can’t brush them off. They’re stuck to the hair. Yuck! Lice can also cause your head to feel itchy or tickly. If you think you might have lice, ask your mom or dad to look at your hair.
Not So Fun Facts about Lice for Kids
- Lice spread easily from one person to another. Don’t use your friends’ combs, hair clips or hats.
- Lice feed on tiny amounts of blood from the scalp. Sometimes they leave red, itchy bumps.
- If you have lice, you’ll need to use a special shampoo to get rid of them. You’ll also need to wash all your clothing, bedding and pillows in hot water.
- Anyone can catch lice. Getting lice does not mean you’re dirty or don’t take care of yourself. You could take a shower three times each day and still get head lice.
- Dangerous: can cause harm
- Scalp: the skin under your hair
- Dandruff: dead flakes of skin
Learn More All About Lice
Check out this video about the secret life of lice:
A video about the things you didn’t know about lice.
Question: If I get lice, will my family get it too?
Answer: Lice spread easily, so your family might get lice too. They should wash their bedding and use a medicated shampoo, too.
Question: How can I prevent head lice?
Answer: There’s no way to completely guarantee you won’t get head lice. Don’t sit head to head with your friends, and don’t borrow their combs.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Lice Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-lice/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Lice Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-lice/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
- Saudi Arabia Worksheet and Quiz
- Poland Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :