Islam, the second largest religion in the world, began in Saudi Arabia. Here, in the city of Mecca, the Prophet Muhammad received the word of Allah, which is found in the Qur’an. Muhammad died in the city of Medina in 632 A.D. Both cities are considered holy to Muslim people throughout the world.
Saudi Arabia is an ancient country that has seen its share of conflicts, but it has been ruled by a monarchy since 1932. Saudi Arabia has had better relations with the western world than most Middle Eastern countries, but the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States strained relationships because most of the terrorists were from Saudi Arabia. Relationships have improved again in recent years.
Saudi Arabia has more oil than any country in the world. This fact has allowed it to become very wealthy. In the past, it was able to provide health care and education to its citizens without asking for taxes. The Muslim religion is very important to the people and government of Saudi Arabia.
In 2018 King Salman relaxed some of the strict rules for women. Women can now apply for driver licences and can travel on their own. Women are also allowed to vote and have unrestricted access to healthcare and other government services.
Fun Facts about Saudi Arabia for Kids
- 33,595,496 people live in Saudi Arabia (data July 2018).
- King Mohammad Bin Salman Al Saud is the current leader of Saudi Arabia.
- Arabic is the official language here.
- The capital of Saudi Arabia is Riyadh.
- There are 756,985 square miles.
- 95% of Saudi Arabia is desert or classed as semi desert.
- All people in Saudi Arabia are Muslim.
- People in Saudi Arabia can expect to live to be 74.8.
- 79 percent of adults can read.
- There are no rivers in Saudi Arabia making is the largest country in the world without a natural river.
- The Saudi riyal is the currency used here.
- Over 100 camels are sold in Saudi Arabia every day.
- The Arabian peninsula is the largest peninsula in the world.
- The Saudi Royal family are estimated to have a wealth of $14 trillion.
Saudi Arabia Vocabulary
- Allah: the one and only God worshipped by Muslims
- Holy: sacred
- Monarchy: governed by royalty
- Wealthy: rich in money and resources
- Chaperon: escort, helper
All About Saudi Arabia Video for Kids
Watch this awesome Saudi Arabia video for kids:
This is a video showcasing the culture of Saudi Arabia and touring their cultural landmarks.
Saudi Arabia Q&A
Question: Is Mecca an important city?
Answer: Mecca is considered the center of the Islamic world and the most holy site. Every year, millions of Muslims visit Mecca during the Hajj, a yearly pilgrimage. All Muslims are asked to visit Mecca at least once in their lifetime, as circumstances allow.
Map of Saudi Arabia
Here’s a map of the country of Saudi Arabia and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Saudi Arabia! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Saudi Arabia, as though you are actually there!
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Saudi Arabia Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 15 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-saudi-arabia/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Saudi Arabia Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-saudi-arabia/
Saudi Arabia Quiz / Question Paper
Sponsored Links :