Great Barrier Reef
What is the largest living thing on earth? It’s not a whale or an elephant. It’s the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Australia, — the world’s largest coral reef. The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from outer space and is the world’s biggest single structure made by living organisms.
This coral reef consists of over 2,500 individual reefs and 900 islands. The reef is home to 400 different kinds of coral, as well as fish, birds, worms and crustaceans. Sea turtles and birds come here to lay their eggs and butterflies come in swarms to rest over the winter.
Fun Facts About the Great Barrier Reef for Kids
- Coral are marine animals that make calcium carbonate, which forms a hard shell.
- The shells build up creating coral reefs.
- Coral reefs provide shelter for thousands of animals.
- The Great Barrier Reef is a world heritage site. It is protected from fishing.
- The Great Barrier Reef is at least 20,000 years old.
The Great Barrier Reef Vocabulary
- Coast: where land meets sea
- Island: land surrounded by water
- Marine: living in water or belonging to water
- Shelter: protection, home
All About The Great Barrier Reef Video for Kids
This is the best video we found for kids to learn about the Great Barrier Reef:
The Great Barrier Reef Q&A
Question: Is the Great Barrier Reef an animal?
Answer: The Great Barrier Reef is made of millions of coral. It is bigger than the Great Wall of China and it can be seen from space.
Enjoyed the Natural Science for Kids Website all about the Great Barrier Reef info? Take the FREE & fun Great Barrier Reef quiz and download FREE all about the Great Barrier Reef worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Great Barrier Reef Facts ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2019. Web. 25 Aug 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-great-barrier-reef/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Great Barrier Reef Facts. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-great-barrier-reef/
Sponsored Links :