Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy
Researchers keep track of the average ages people live to be in every country. These averages are called life expectancy. Life expectancy varies from country to country because of differences in access to health care, diet, stress, pollution and exercise. You might be surprised to see that the United States doesn’t fall in the top 10. We can learn about healthy living by studying how people in other countries live.
- In Japan, the life expectancy is 82.6 years.
- The average life expectancy in Hong Kong is 82.2 years.
- People in Iceland can expect to live 81.8 years.
- The average life expectancy in Switzerland is 81.7 years.
- People in Australia can expect to live 81.2 years.
- In Spain, the life expectancy is 80.9 years.
- Sweden ties with Spain for the overall average life expectancy of 80.9 years.
- People in Israel can expect to live 80.7 years.
- Macau ties with Israel. The average life expectancy is 80.7 years.
- People in France can also expect to live 80.7 years.
These figures all about top 10 countries for life expectancy include averages for both men and women. In all cases, women tend to live longer than men – usually by about five years. Doctors say the best things you can do to have a long life are eat a healthy diet, exercise every day and never start smoking.
Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy Facts for Kids
- Life expectancy in Japan may top the list, but that is if people live past 30. The leading cause of death for people under the age of 30 is suicide. In the first decade of the 21st century there were more than 30,000 suicides each year.
- Men live in Iceland now, obviously or it wouldn’t be on this list, but the only indigenous mammal to Iceland is the arctic fox.
- The Red Cross was started in Switzerland by Henri Dunant in 1863.
- Renewable energy is a hot commodity all over the world. Spain leads the way in developing and producing different types of renewable energy such as solar and wind power.
- In the United States right now serving in the military is optional. In Israel, however, every person is required to serve two to three years in military service. After the mandatory three years, men join the reserve forces and continue to serve several weeks a year until they are in their forties. Women, after their mandatory two years of service, don’t have to serve in the reserve forces.
- Tourism in France is a big industry. In fact, France hosts more tourists every year than any other country in the world, around 83 million.
- Where do you find the Venetian, Sands, Wynn and MGM Grand? Las Vegas would be one right answer, but Macau would be another. These resorts have opened in Macau also. The revenue received from gambling in Macau has made it the top casino market in the world.
Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy Vocabulary
- Average: median of a set of values found by dividing the sum of the values by the number of values
- Expectancy: Something believed to be about to happen; to anticipate
- Renewable: Able to be restored or replaced or replenished
- Mandatory: Required or commanded by authority
- Revenue: Income received
- Casino: Public building or room specifically for entertainment, primarily gambling
Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy Video for Kids
This is the best video we found for kids to learn all about Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy:
A video all about the top 10 countries for life expectancy and which countries have the longest life expectancies.
Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy Q&A
Question: Will moving to one of these countries make me live longer?
Answer: Just relocating to one of these geographic locations will probably not do much to extend your lifespan. However, if you embrace the diet and lifestyle of these places it is possible that doing so will have a positive impact on your health.
Question: Why do people in certain countries live longer than in others?
Answer: Access to healthcare is important, but the basics of what people eat and how much they exercise are very important factors. Someone who sits in front of the computer all day and eats a diet of greasy, processed foods will probably not live as long as someone who has to exercise in some way every day and eats a fresher diet of fish, vegetables and natural grains. The latter way of life is just better for your body.
Enjoyed the Free Geography Kids Online all about the Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy info? Take the FREE & fun all about the Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy quiz and download FREE all about the Top 10 Countries for Life Expectancy worksheet for kids. For lengthy, click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Life Expectancy Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 19 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-top-10-countries-for-life-expectancy/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Life Expectancy Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-top-10-countries-for-life-expectancy/
Sponsored Links :