The White House is the official residence and workplace of the President of the United States. It is undoubtedly one of the most famous buildings in the world. Initially, it was known as Executive Mansion, the President’s House and the President’s Palace.
President Theodore Roosevelt made the name White House official in 1901. This 55,000 square foot Presidential palace has a total of 132 rooms. It was designed by Irish-born architect James Hoban in the 1790s. His model was based on a villa in Dublin, called Leinster House, which is still used as a government building in Ireland.
Fast Facts: –
- It is the only private house of a head of state that is free to visit.
- It took a total of 8 years to complete the construction of this building and the cost was $232,372 at that time.
- There is a private home in McLean, Virginia which is an exact replica of the White House.
- White House did not have running water until 1833. It was installed under Andrew Jackson’s Presidency.
- The first residents of the house were second President of the US John Adams and his wife.
- Every month, the President receives a bill for the family’s personal expenses like food, toiletries, dry cleaning etc. and the amount is deducted from the presidential annual salary.
- This mansion receives about 6,000 visitors every day.
- The White House kitchen can serve dinner to as many as 140 guests and hors-d’oeuvres to more than 1,000 with five full-time chefs.
- The building requires 570 gallons of paint to cover its outside surface.
- It has a variety of recreation facilities like a jogging track, swimming pool, movie theater etc.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about The White House ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 20 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-white-house/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about The White House. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-white-house/
Sponsored Links :