Amazing Tornado Facts
A tornado can be defined as a rapidly spinning tube of air that remains in contact of both the ground and the cloud or in other words, it is a bad weather event. A tornado is also known as twister. Most of them have wind speed less than 100 mph. they travel a few miles before exhaustion. If a tornado is formed over a body of water then it is called waterspout. The strength of a tornado can be measured by using the Fujita Scale. The deadliest tornado in the US history is the Tri-state tornado that killed approximately 695 people. It travelled through parts of Missouri, Indiana and Illinois.
Fast Facts: –
- Tornado alley can be defined as an area where tornadoes strike regularly in the spring and early summer.
- Tornado alley includes Nebraska, South Dakota, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and Kansas.
- Tornadoes make infrasound which is below 20 Hz range, the normal range of human hearing.
- There are different shapes and sizes of tornadoes like: – rope like swirl and wide funnel shaped cloud.
- A tornado can be very destructive in nature. It completely depends on its nature.
- They occur all over the world except Antarctica.
- Extremely large thunderstorms called super cells causes a tornado.
- Duration of a tornado ranges between 1-4 hours.
- Tornado winds are the fastest winds on the earth.
- It can hop along its path sometimes.
- A tornado appears transparent until it catches dust and debris and then its colour turn into grey to black.
- Tornadoes in the southern hemisphere rotate clockwise and in northern hemisphere, counter-clockwise.
- Sometimes, a tornado can backtrack as well.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Tornado for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2019. Web. 23 Jul 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/amazing-tornado-footage-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts about Tornado for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/amazing-tornado-footage-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :