Amazon Rainforest Facts for Kids Video
It is the world’s largest tropical rainforest. It covers over 5.5 million square kilometres. It is so big that the United Kingdom and Ireland would fit into it 17 times. It is found in South America, spanning across Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Suriname, Colombia, Guyana, Ecuador and French Guiana. Running through the north of the rainforest is the Amazon River. It is the second largest river in length of the world which flows a length of around 6,400 km.
Fast Facts: –
- An entire of 10% of the world’s known species are found in the Amazon Rainforest. And 20% of the world’s bird species live here.
- Around 2 .5 million different insect species and more than 40000 Plant species call this rainforest home. More than half of the insect species are thought to live in the canopy.
- There are also a number of deadly species living in the Amazon Rainforest such as the Cougar and Anaconda.
- While the protection of the Amazon Rainforest suffered severe droughts that obliterated a large number of vegetation in the worst affected areas.
- The Amazon River once flowed from east to west instead of from west to east as it flows today. The rise of the Andes, the longest continental mountain range caused it to flow into the Atlantic Ocean.
- Nearly 2/3 part of the Amazon Rainforest is found in Brazil
- The forest floor is almost completely dark because of the thick tree canopies above.
- The Amazon Rainforest receives around nine feet of rain every year.
- An entire 20% of earth’s oxygen is obtained from the Amazon Rainforest alone.
- The plants and animals in the Amazon have developed in such a way that they create a close-knit ecosystem. Al the plants and animals depend on another greatly for its survival, which means that this ecosystem is very intricate.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Amazon Rainforest facts for kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 08 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/amazon-rainforest-facts-for-kids-video-2/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Amazon Rainforest facts for kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/amazon-rainforest-facts-for-kids-video-2/
Sponsored Links :