Imagine a cross between a turtle and a military tank and you might have an anklyosaurus. This animal was slow, but tough!
- The anklyosaurus was covered in flexible armor plating made from bone. Its tail held a massive bone club, perfect for whacking a predator. Its head was also covered in bony armor.
- Although the anklyosaurus couldn’t move quickly, its armor kept it well protected. Unless a predator could reach its throat and underside, this dinosaur had a good chance of survival.
- The Anklyosaurus was discovered in the U.S. and Canada in 2006.
- It lived on plants and grew 33 feet long, making it one of the largest of the armored dinosaurs.
- Anklyosaurus means fused lizard. This dinosaur belonged to the Anklyosauria group, for which it is named. All the animals in this group have bony armor, some of it fused. This armor, which is embedded in the skin, is called
- The anklyosaurus had a wide, beaked mouth, and flat teeth for shredding plants.
- Scientists have never found a complete skeleton of an anklyosaurus. They know what it probably looked like from studying other dinosaurs in the Anklyosauria family.
- The dinosaur’s armor was solid bone with lightweight bone between it. This design made it light enough for the dinosaur to move freely.
See images of this dinosaur’s armor.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts about Anklyosaurus Dinosaur for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2019. Web. 19 Nov 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/anklyosaurus/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Facts about Anklyosaurus Dinosaur for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/anklyosaurus/
Sponsored Links :