Apatosaurus is also known as Brontosaurus. The name Apatosaurus means ‘Deceptive Reptile’. It is one of the most famous dinosaurs of all the times. They lived in the late Jurassic Period, approximately 150 million years ago. These dinosaurs were herbivores. It was first discovered in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado in 1877 by famous palaeontologist Othniel Charles Marsh. Apatosaurus was one of the largest terrestrial animals that have ever walked the planet.
Quick Facts: –
- They had a short snout filled with weak peg like teeth. It used its teeth to rake the leaves off of trees.
- They belonged to the Sauropod group of dinosaurs.
- Apatosaurus was a close relative of Diplodocus.
- These dinosaurs could reach full size in approximately 10 years.
- They reached up to a length of 75 feet and weighed about 25 to 40 tons.
- Their head was very small as compared to the size of their body.
- Apatosaurus is in official logo of Sinclair Oil Company.
- These dinosaurs had to consume 880 pounds of plants every day in order to survive.
- The average lifespan of an Apatosaurus was 30 years.
- Apatosaurus’s egg was as large as a basketball in size.
- It may have held its head high with an S-curve like a swan with the help of its flexible neck.
- Allosaurus was the natural enemy of Apatosaurus.