The appendix is a small thin tube where your small intestine meets your large intestine. It’s on the right side of your body. For a long time, doctors thought the appendix served no purpose in the body. Now researchers wonder if the appendix might be a place where helpful bacteria lives. Appendicitis is a painful condition that happens when the appendix becomes inflamed.
- Appendicitis is pretty rare. About 5 percent of people will have appendicitis during their lifetime.
- This problem is most common between the ages of 10 and 30. Boys are more likely to have appendicitis than girls.
- The symptoms of appendicitis may seem like indigestion at first. People sometimes feel nauseous or have diarrhea. They might vomit or have a fever. The pain gets worse over time and usually occurs near the belly button or on the lower right side of the belly.
- Appendicitis needs to be treated right away. If the appendix bursts, it can cause a serious infection.
- The treatment for appendicitis is a surgery called an appendectomy. A doctor will make a small incision and remove the appendix. In some cases, the doctor can use a type of surgery called laparoscopy, which is a simpler surgery.
- After surgery, most people stay in the hospital for a few days.
- Inflame: enlarged and irritated
- Indigestion: a stomach ache
- Incision: cut
Questions and Answers
Question: What causes appendicitis?
Answer: Sometimes it happens for no obvious reason. Or it can happen because something is blocking the appendix, such as worms, poop, a tumor, or trauma.
Find out more about appendicitis in kids.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " What is Appendicitis? Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2020. Web. 08 Apr 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/appendicitis/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). What is Appendicitis? Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/appendicitis/
We've recently added
- Iodine Clock Reaction
- Make Homemade Fizzy Lemonade
- Make Rock Candy
- Ocean Acidification Experiment
- How To Build a Popsicle Stick Catapult
- How To Make Floating Paper Clips
- Animal Blubber Simulation
- How To Make an Edible Water Bottle!
- Hourglass Dolphin
- Atlantic Spotted Dolphin
- Hector’s Dolphin
- Dusky Dolphin
Sponsored Links :