Best African Elephant Facts Video for Kids
Facts about African Elephants
The African elephant is the largest of all the land mammals. It is a common belief that their ears are shaped like the African continent. The lifespan of an African elephant is approximately 60 years. They are considered as a keystone species. These elephants are also known as savannah elephants. Their scientific name is Loxodonta Africana. They require a great deal of food to support their large body size. They can eat about 350 pounds of food in a single day. They are classified as vulnerable by the IUCN. African elephant can be 7.5m long, 3.3m high at the shoulder and 6 tonnes in weight.
Quick Facts: –
- There are two subspecies of African elephants: – the larger savannah elephant and the smaller forest elephant.
- They are able to swim for long distances.
- They do not have any sweat glands.
- They are known to have the largest brain in the entire animal kingdom.
- African elephants are less hairy as compared to their Asian cousins.
- Their trunk is about 7 feet long and capable of killing a lion.
- Their skin might look tough but is really very sensitive in actual and can be damaged by the harmful UV light rays from the Sun.
- They are herbivores and spend most of their day searching for food in grass, plants, barks etc.
- They have excellent sense of smell and hearing.
- These elephants love wading in water and taking mud bath.
- Their ears radiate heat to keep them cool.
- Their trunk can be used for various purposes like: – breathing, smelling, trumpeting, drinking and sometimes for grabbing things.
- They have a gestation period of around 22 months which is longest of all other mammals.
- They communicate with each other through a type of growling noise.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about African Elephants ." Easy Science for Kids, Sep 2019. Web. 15 Sep 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-african-elephant-facts-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about African Elephants. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-african-elephant-facts-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :