Dry Ice Facts
Dry ice is actually frozen carbon dioxide. We exhale the same as during breathing and used by plants in the process of photosynthesis. It is also called ‘cardice’. It is extremely cold and has an average temperature of -78.5°C or -109.3°F. French chemist Charles Thilorier was the first one to get the observation published in 1835. It is usually sold as chunks or pellets which appear white in colour. It can be handled easily using insulated gloves. Direct contact with dry ice can result in frostbite and cold burns. Its molecular weight is 44.01.
Quick Facts: –
- Dry ice is non polar and has zero dipole moment. It also has low thermal and electrical conductivity.
- It is added to food when making ice cream or freezing food as the carbon dioxide gas carbonates the liquid. It also adds a sour or acidic flavour.
- It is generally produced in either blocks or cylindrical pellets. A standard block weighing 30 g is the most common.
- Dry ice does not melt, instead it sublimates. The solid directly turns into gas.
- It is an important refrigerant for to keep food cold and prevent bacterial growth.
- It is the same chemical that gives drinks their fizz.
- It is food grade and non-toxic but should not be eaten or swallowed as it can harm in other different ways.
- The density of dry ice is around 1.6g/cm3.
- Dry ice is much colder than regular ice.
- It can be also used in the construction industry to loosen floor tiles.
- Dry ice blasting is clean, non-toxic and safe and it is also safe to use with food processing equipments.
- This method does not generate any secondary waste.