Best Dwarf Planet Video for Kids
There are five dwarf planets present in our solar system. They are Ceres, Pluto, Eris, Makemake and Haumea. Ceres is located in the asteroid belt and rest of them are found in the outer solar system. There are certain conditions that a celestial body should follow to be considered as a dwarf planet: –
- It should orbit around the Sun.
- It should not be a satellite.
- It should not have cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.
- It should have sufficient mass so that its self gravity can overcome rigid body forces.
Fun Facts: –
- Pluto is the largest dwarf planet and Ceres is the smallest one.
- Pluto was discovered in 1930 and named after the Roman god of the underworld.
- On Pluto, the sun rises and sets about once a week.
- Ceres, one of the dwarf planets is the first asteroid to be discovered in 1801.
- In 2006, Pluto got demoted from a planet to a dwarf planet by International Astronomical Union.
- Eris, the third largest dwarf planet was discovered in 2005 and considered as the tenth planet but in 2006, it got reclassified with Pluto as a Dwarf planet.
- Haumea was discovered in 2004 and considered as a dwarf planet in 2008.
- The orbits of dwarf planets are elliptical.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Dwarf Planet Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2020. Web. 28 Mar 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-dwarf-planet-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Dwarf Planet Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-dwarf-planet-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :