Elephant Toothpaste Experiment
This video is a demonstration of a science experiment to create exploding toothpaste. It is also called as Elephant’s toothpaste.
Required Materials: –
- Safety glasses and rubber gloves
- Plastic tarp
- An empty plastic bottle
- 40-volume hydrogen peroxide
- Dish Soap
- Dry yeast
- Warm water
- Food colours
- First of all, put on the rubber gloves and safety glasses.
- Then cover the demonstration table with the plastic tarp to avoid the mess.
- Pour 120 ml of 40-volume hydrogen peroxide to the empty plastic bottle by using a funnel.
- Pour some dish soap and some food colouring. Then mix it with the hydrogen peroxide in the plastic bottle.
- Now in a cup mix a generous amount of dry yeast with warm water. The consistency of the mixture should be thin. It will work as a catalyst.
- And the last step is to pour that catalyst mixture in to the plastic bottle that already contains a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, dish soap and food colours.
- Now see what happens. You will see a huge amount of foam exploding from the bottle.
How does it work: –
In this entire process, a chemical reaction takes place in which hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen. The mixture of yeast and warm water will work as a catalyst. This foam is made up of oxygen filled bubbles.