Best Facts About Antarctica Video for Kids
Antarctica is the largest desert in the world. It is a cold desert. The name Antarctica has been derived from a Greek word meaning ‘Opposite to the north’. It is also the coldest, windiest, driest and highest continent of our planet. On this continent, temperature can dip below to -133°F. It contains more than 90% of the freshwater of the earth. This continent was first sighted during a Russian expedition in 1820. It is the only continent with no reptiles. Antarctica does not have any time zone. A total of 38 countries signed a treaty that prohibits military activities, nuclear explosions, nuclear waste disposal and mineral mining in Antarctica. This treaty was signed on December 1, 1959.
Quick Facts: –
- Husky dogs have been banned from here since 1994.
- The average thickness of ice sheet in Antarctica is about 1.6 km.
- The Belgica Antarctica is the only insect native to Antarctica.
- Most of the people believe that polar bears are found in Antarctica but it is not true. They are only found in Arctic.
- The entire continent has only one ATM.
- Antarctica is surrounded by the southern ocean.
- There are over 300 lakes beneath the Antarctic ice sheet.
- It is the fifth largest continent.
- Vinson Massif is the highest point on Antarctica with a height of 16,362 feet.
- This continent is home to Mount Erebus, the southern most active volcano in the world.
- The dry valleys in Antarctica are the driest place on the entire earth.
- Emile Marco Palma became the first human to be born on Antarctica on January 7, 1978.
- Deep Lake in Antarctica is too salty to freeze even in temperatures as low as -4°F.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Antarctica Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 15 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-facts-about-antarctica-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Antarctica Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-facts-about-antarctica-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :