Best Facts About Mercury Video for Kids
Best Facts about Mercury
Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun. It is also the second hottest planet in the entire solar system. It is named after the Roman messenger of god. The surface of this terrestrial planet is very similar to our moon. It has a barren and rocky surface that is covered with many craters. This planet travels though the space at an incredible speed of 50 km/second that makes it the fastest planet. It is greyish-brown in colour. Apart from Venus, it is the only planet that does not have any moons. Mercury was observed in 1631 by Galileo Galilei for the first time.
Quick Facts: –
- The planet has a weak atmosphere. This is the reason why it does not have any seasons.
- The orbit of Mercury is more of an ellipse in shape rather than a circle.
- This planet is believed to have a solid iron core that could be molten.
- There are some ancient lava fields on the surface that suggest some volcanic activity in the past.
- Mercury is not tidally locked to the Sun as it makes three revolutions on its own axis during the time it makes two revolutions around the Sun.
- It has a weak magnetic field with strength only about 1% of the magnetic field on Earth.
- This is quite unbelievable that you can find a plenty of frozen water deposits on such a hot world.
- There is no liquid water on the planet’s surface.
- The planet cannot be viewed by the Hubble Telescope because of its close proximity to Sun. The brightness would harm the electrical components of the telescope.
- Till now, only two spacecrafts have visited Mercury.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Facts for Kids about Mercury ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 16 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-facts-about-mercury-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Amazing Facts for Kids about Mercury. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-facts-about-mercury-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :