Hockey has been around since 14th century. The word hockey has been derived from the middle French word ‘hoquet’ that means shepherd’s stave. The very first organized hockey game was played indoors in Montreal, Canada in 1875. The National Hockey League (NHL) was established in 1917. The origin of this game is unknown. Each hockey team consist of 11 players that comprise attackers, defenders and a goalkeeper. Manon Rheaume was the first woman player who played in the NHL. She was the goalie for Tampa Bay Lightning. There are many different types of hockey: – Ice Hockey, Field Hockey, Sledge Hockey, Roller Hockey etc.
Quick Facts: –
- Prior to 1960s the hockey stick was straight. The curve of the stick was introduced in the 1960s.
- Ron Hextall of the Philadelphia Flyers was the first ever goalie to score a goal in other team’s net.
- The Stanley Cup was named for a former Canadian Governor General, Lord Stanley of Preston. It was created in 1853.
- Joe Malone holds the record for most scored goals in a game with a figure of seven.
- The Stanley Cup was only seven inches tall, originally. Today, it is more than 35 inches tall.
- Dave Ritchie of the Montreal Wanderers scored the first NHL goal on December 19, 1917 against the Toronto Arenas.
- The goalie is the only player of the team who can use his feet to stop or redirect the ball, besides using the stick.
- The team that makes maximum goals in the allotted time wins the game.
- Montreal Wanderers is the team that has won the maximum no. of Stanley cup in the league’s history.
- Forward passes were not allowed in hockey, prior to the 1927-28 seasons.
- Hockey is the national sport of India.