Best Phases of The Moon for Kids – Video for Kids
Phases of the moon
What causes the moon phases?
The lunar phases are created by cyclic changes in angles of the earth, the moon and the sun, as the moon completes its cycle around the earth.
- New Moon: – in this phase, the moon is not visible because we are looking at the unlit half of the moon. This phase occurs when the Moon is directly between the Sun and Earth. Possibility of a solar eclipse is only in this phase.
- Waxing Crescent Moon: – When the moon looks like crescent increases in size from one day to the next.
- First Quarter Moon/Half moon: – When half of the lit portion of the moon can be seen after the waxing crescent moon.
- Waxing Gibbous Moon: – This phase occurs when more than half of the lit portion of the moon is visible and the shape increases in size from one day to the next. This phase occurs between the first quarter and full moon phases.
- Full Moon: – When we can see the entire lit portion of the moon. This phase occurs when the Moon is on the different side of the Earth from the Sun. There is a possibility of a Lunar Eclipse only in this phase.
- Waning Gibbous Moon: – This phase occurs when more than half of the lit portion of the moon can be seen and the shape decreases in size from one day to the next. This phase occurs between the full moon and third quarter phases.
- Last Quarter Moon: – When half of the lit portion of the moon can be seen after the waning gibbous phase.
- Waning Crescent Moon: – When the moon looks like the crescent, decreasing in size from one day to the next.
What is Blue moon?
In one calendar month, if a second full moon is visible, then it is called a ‘Blue Moon’ and it occurs approximately every 3 years.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Best Phases of The Moon for Kids - Video for Kids - ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2020. Web. 09 Aug 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-phases-of-the-moon-for-kids-video-for-kids-2/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Best Phases of The Moon for Kids - Video for Kids -. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-phases-of-the-moon-for-kids-video-for-kids-2/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :