Best Puffer Fish Video for Kids
Puffer Fish Facts
Puffer fish is also known as blow fish, globe fish, balloon fish etc. It is one of the most widely recognized species of fish in the entire world. They inhale air to turn into a size as twice their actual size. They also have poisonous spikes and an incredibly thick skin. All these things make it nearly impossible for predators to even take a bite out them. Contrary to an old belief, puffer fish continue their breathing in that defensive inflated state. Although this defence technique puts a lot of stress on their body and it can take around 5-6 hours for their metabolism to return to normal.
Quick Facts: –
- It is one of the most poisonous species on the planet. It contains deadly tetrodotoxin that is 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide.
- The total no. of their species is more than 120.
- These fishes have no scales and generally have rough and spiky skin.
- They have excellent eyesight.
- Their inflation capability and large spikes play the main role in evading predators.
- A single puffer fish contains enough poison to kill 30 human beings and there is k=no known antitode to this poison.
- They are known as ‘fugu’ in Japan. Their meat is very expensive and considered a delicacy.
- These meals are only prepared by trained and licensed fugu chefs because a wrong cut can lead to the death of the customer.
- Puffer fish are generally found in tropical and subtropical ocean waters but some species are also found in brackish and freshwater.
- Sharks are the only species immune to the toxin of puffer fish.
- These fishes have somewhat clumsy swimming style.
- They are generally bright coloured. Bright colours are directly related to the amount of toxin in the fish.
- Average lifespan of a puffer fish is around 10 years.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Puffer Fish Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 15 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-puffer-fish-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Puffer Fish Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-puffer-fish-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :