Best Velociraptor Facts Video for Kids
Their name Velociraptor has been derived from the Latin words ‘velox’ and ‘raptor’ which mean ‘swift seizer’. These dinosaurs lived in the late Cretaceous period, around 72 million years ago. Their first fossils were found in the Mongolian Gobi Desert in 1922. They had sickle shaped claws on its rear feet that helped them to kill the prey.
Fast Facts: –
- There are two species of Velociraptor, V. mongoliensis and V. osmolskae.
- An adult Velociraptor can reach up to 6 feet in length, 2 feet in height and can weigh up to 15 kg.
- These vicious predators lived in central part of Asia as they preferred a hot and dry environment. At that time, Asia was more like a desert.
- Their look was somewhat strange because they resembled a large chicken.
- Velociraptor had S-shaped neck and chicken like tufts.
- A 7 inches long head was joined to their neck. And they had feathers as well.
- They could run at a speed of 40 mph.
- They had large brains relative to their body size which gives an idea that they were smart creatures.
- Velociraptor had 80 teeth in their mouth which were curvy and sharp enough to tear their meal.
- It had a powerful tail that helped them to balance their body while running.
- Some palaeontologists believe that Velociraptor was warm-blooded like birds and mammals.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Velociraptor ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 15 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-velociraptor-facts-video-for-kids-2/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Velociraptor. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-velociraptor-facts-video-for-kids-2/
Sponsored Links :