The Black Forest is a large forested mountain range located in south-western Germany. This region measures 160 kilometers in length and 60 kilometers in width. Now it has been designated as a nature park which is the largest one in the country.
It is known as the Schwarzwald by locals. This mountainous terrain rises above sea-level from 200-1500. Feldberg is the highest peak that measures 4,898 feet. It is also the highest German mountain outside of the Alps.
Fast Facts: –
- Titisee is the largest natural lake in the Black Forest. It stretches for approximately 2 kilometers.
- The Black Forest has got this name from the general dark color of the pine trees that grow in the region.
- It is also home to the Triberg Falls that is one of the highest falls in the country. It measures about 163 meters.
- There are various rivers in the forest including the Danube, Enz, Kinzig, Murg, Rench, Neckar and Wiese.
- It consists of a cover of sandstone on top of a core of gneiss.
- Most of the German fairy tales including ‘Hansel and Gretel’, ‘Snow White’, ‘Rapunzel’ etc. have forests based around this one.
- Mountains in the forest are not very high but incredibly beautiful, dotted with pristine lakes and clear rivers.
- It is also known for its cuckoo clocks, and for Black Forest gateau.
- It consists of a granite highland with rounded summits and on the Southern side bordered by a narrow band of lower limestone.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts about Black Forest for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 26 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/black-forest/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts about Black Forest for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/black-forest/
Sponsored Links :