Bora Bora Island
Bora Bora Island lies in the Society Islands of French Polynesia which is a territory of France in the Pacific Ocean. French Polynesia has five groups of islands that consist of 118 islands. Bora Bora is a small, tropical island that belongs to the Leeward group. It is surrounded by a lagoon and a barrier reef.
This island is also home to an extinct volcano at its center. This volcano has two peaks called Mount Pahia and Mount Otemanu. Mount Otemanu is the highest point with an elevation of 727 meters.
Quick Facts: –
- Bora Bora Island covers a total area of 29.3 square kilometers. It is one of the most secluded islands on the earth.
- This island has many small islets including Motu Ahuna, Motu Mute, Motu Tapu, Toopuaiti, Motu Tafari etc.
- The original Polynesian settlers gave this island a name ‘Pora Pora’ which means ‘first born’.
- The average water temperature of the Bora Bora lagoon is about 28 degrees.
- The islanders speak two languages French and Polynesian. English is also spoken in the areas frequented by tourists.
- This island has three small villages, one post office, banks and a variety of small shops.
- The main form of transport on the island is boats.
- Bora Bora does not have any dangerous creatures like snakes or spiders. Tourists can enjoy the sublime environment.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Bora Bora Island ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 18 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/bora-bora-island/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Facts for Kids about Bora Bora Island. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/bora-bora-island/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :