Borobudur Temple is a Buddhist temple located near Magelang in Java, Indonesia. It is famous as one of the most complex buildings in the world. It is also the world’s largest Buddhist monument. The structure consists of nine stacked platforms, six square and three circular, topped by a central dome.
This central dome is surrounded by 72 Buddha statues, each seated inside a perforated stupa. It has been a major pilgrimage site for centuries.
Quick Facts: –
- The Borobudur Temple is locally known as the Candi Borobudur.
- It has been declared as a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1991 because of its historical importance.
- This temple was built on a bedrock hill located 265 meters above sea level and 15 meters above the floor of a dried-out paleolake.
- It has 6 square platforms topped by 3 circular platforms. They are decorated with 504 Buddha statues and 2,672 relief panels.
- There is no written record of who built this temple and for what purpose. Although it is believed that it was built during the reign of Sailendra Dynasty.
- In 1980, a bomb blast by a radical leader caused nine stupas of this complex to break.
- According to scientists, the largest stupa is on the top floor of the temple and also serves as a sundial.
- The temple was abandoned between 928 and 1006 CE because the center of power moved to East Java.
- It started to gain worldwide attention in 1814 because of the efforts of Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " All Facts for Kids about Borobudur Temple ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2020. Web. 24 Nov 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/borobudur-temple/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). All Facts for Kids about Borobudur Temple. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/borobudur-temple/
We've recently added
- Buffalo – not just a sauce
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- FAMOUS AMERICAN INVENTORS (top ten and their inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
Sponsored Links :