Bran Castle – Romania
Bran Castle is a fortress located in central Romania along the border of historic regions Transylvania and Wallachia. It is a national monument and landmark. It is also known by some other names including Dracula’s Castle and Bran Fortress. It is situated on a cliff at an elevation of 762 meters and is surrounded by valleys and hills.
An act passed by Louis I of Hungary on November 19, 1377 is known to have first documented the castle. This act gave the Saxons of Kronstadt the privilege to build the stone castle.
Quick Facts: –
- The construction of Bran Castle started in 1377 and it was completed in 1382.
- The purpose of this castle was to develop important customs-points into Transylvania and to strengthen the Southern borders of the emerging state.
- The strength of this fortress was directly linked to the well being of the city of Brasov and also the other way round.
- The castle was mortgaged to the town of Brasov in 1500 by King Wladyshaw of the Maygar, then owner of the castle.
- The fortress was used as a customs-house by the people of Brasov.
- The castle has narrow stairways that lead through the rooms. There are a total of 60 rooms made of timber.
- There is a luscious courtyard that is located in the center of the castle.
- There is a small chapel on the southern side of the castle wall. It was built in 1940 in memory of Queen Marie.
- This structure is an incredible example of Romanian fortitude and heritage, bringing in 500,000 visitors a year.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Bran Castle Fun Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/bran-castle/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Bran Castle Fun Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/bran-castle/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :