The real name of Buffalo Bill was William Frederick Cody. He was an American buffalo hunter, pony express rider, U.S. army scout, actor and impresario. He was born on February 26, 1846 in Scott County, Iowa. He was raised on a farm. His family were Quakers and opposed slavery.
When he was a child, his family moved to Canada and then to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas Territory which was a place where conflicts between pro slavery and abolishment slavery groups took place. Cody briefly served in the Union army during the Civil War.
Quick Facts: –
- He himself was a Freemason who achieved the rank of Knight Templar in 1889 and 32-degree rank in the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry in 1894.
- He began riding for Pony Express in the spring of 1860. He was 14 years old at that time.
- He became a full-fledged rider after an apprenticeship building corrals and stations for the burgeoning mail service.
- Buffalo Bill served two tours of duty as a rider although his name was not mentioned in official records.
- In 1866, William Frederick Cody married Louisa Frederici.
- He also received a Medal of Honor while serving the Third Cavalry Regiment as a civilian scout.
- On April 26, 1872, he was awarded the Medal of Honor while serving the Third Cavalry Regiment as a civilian scout.
- He died on January 10, 1917 due to kidney failure. He is buried at the top of Lookout Mountain in Golden, Colorado.
- Cody is best known as a fearless Indian fighter. He respected and advocated for the rights of American Indians.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Buffalo Bill Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 30 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/buffalo-bill/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Buffalo Bill Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/buffalo-bill/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :